Tuesday, August 10, 2010

let the training begin...


Another day off work - I love my Tuesdays and Wednesdays so much! Feeling a lot less stressed today as well, as I knocked off another assignment last night. So today I can be a bit more laid back with study :)

Got up pretty early and whipped up some oatmeal made with water and topped with banana, cinnamon and a little bit of honey.

After breakfast it was time to get into training. Last night I made a split decision and signed up for a fun run...well three fun runs to be exact. I've always wanted to do one, but never considered myself a runner or fit enough to do one. It was actually one of my new years resolutions and since we just went into August, I figured I better get my butt into gear.

Spring Into Shape (Melbourne Series) is a three part fun run, with race days in September, October and November. I liked the look of this series as because there are runs in each month, it gives me time to continue training and attempt to beat my time each race.

So with determination, I set out this morning for my first training run.

What a Fail.

I forgot that I hadn't ran properly in ages, and tried to attempt a 5K hill run. When I was in training for Nepal, I used to do this run easily, but that was nearly a year ago and in recent months I've been doing more aerobic workouts such as gym classes and workout dvds.

Running is a whole different sort of workout and places a lot of impact on leg muscles, knees and ankles. So no wonder after no running for a while, my body was complaining. Ah dear.

I was able to keep it up for about 20 mins but then started to get shin pain, so decided to powerwalk and run in intervals. I have 31 days until the first race, so hopefully I can get my body used to running again quickly!


Home time, quick shower, vanilla protein shake and online lecture time.




Lunch was a falafel salad with sweet chilli sauce (salads included mixed lettuce, red onion, carrot, cucumber and avocado).






I really like this falafel brand. It comes dry - but you mix it with water and then cook them on the stove with a little olive oil spray. And look at the ingredient list - nothing weird or with a massive unpronounceable name featuring = win. It's always a good sign when an ingredient list is as basic and natural as possible.



Mandarin for a snack while I cleaned the house and continued the study.



Hopefully I have a netball game tonight! Weather's looking good for once. The last three weeks we have had a washout, so we haven't even played one game this season. I can't wait to get back into it again - and hopefully this time we might win some games! :P




No comments: